12 WINES OF CHRISTMAS | LEG OF LAMB
Festive pairing: James Estate 2019 Estate Shiraz
cook time: 90 minutes plus resting time | serves: 8 guests
- 8 servings
- 1 (7-pound) semi-boneless leg of lamb, aitchbone removed, fat trimmed to ¼ inch thick, and lamb tied
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fine sea salt
- tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup dry red wine or broth
- Pat lamb dry and score fat by making shallow cuts all over with tip of a sharp small knife.
- Pound garlic to a paste with sea salt using a mortar and pestle (or mince and mash with a heavy knife) and stir together with rosemary and pepper. Put lamb in a lightly oiled roasting pan, then rub paste all over lamb. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roast lamb in middle of oven until an instant-read thermometer inserted 2 inches into thickest part of meat (do not touch bone) registers 130°F, 1½ to 1¾ hours. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 15 to 25 minutes (internal temperature will rise to about 140°F for medium-rare).
- Add wine to pan and deglaze by boiling over moderately high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, 1 minute. Season pan juices with salt and pepper and serve with lamb.
CHRISTMAS EXCLUSIVE OFFER | 2019 Estate Shiraz
6 pack for $134.40 (normally $168.00)
Enter the code CHRISTMAS at the checkout