- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- Finely grated rind of ½ lemon
- 80 ml (⅓ cup) olive oil
- 3 kg boneless pork shoulder
- Sourdough bread or bread rolls (optional), to serve
- ¼ Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 pink lady apple, cut into julienne
- ½ cup (firmly packed) mint, torn
- Juice of 1 lemon, or to taste
- 60 ml (¼ cup) mild-flavoured extra virgin olive oil
Finely grind spices in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle, transfer to a bowl and combine with lemon rind and olive oil. Rub marinade into the pork flesh (not the skin), season and refrigerate to marinate (3 hours). Score pork skin at 1cm intervals with a very sharp knife, sprinkle skin liberally with fine sea salt and tie with kitchen string to secure.
Preheat oven to 170°C. Place pork in a roasting pan and roast until skin is crisp and deep golden brown and the juices just start to run clear when pork is pierced with a sharp knife or a skewer (3¾-4¼ hours; see note). Set aside uncovered to rest for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, for coleslaw, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
Serve sliced pork and crackling with coleslaw and bread rolls.